What's Better for Your Business: A Custom Theme or a Shopify Theme?
Posted on September 17 2021
Thousands of entrepreneurs visit the Shopify Theme Store each month in search of the perfect appearance for their online store. However, not all of them will find what they're looking for—some may require a custom theme or to switch to a different platform.
When it comes to establishing your Shopify store, there are three major alternatives to consider: a ready-made Shopify theme (which is a template), a Modified Shopify theme, or a Shopify Theme Customization. It's crucial to think about all of them because your theme will provide clients the "feeling" of buying in your online store and keep them coming back for more.
Pre Designed Shopify Themes
Shopify has over 70 themes to choose from, with prices ranging from free to roughly $180.00. Once you've decided on a template, you can install it in a couple of minutes and begin modifying your theme. A theme preview and a toolbar are included in the theme editor, which you can use to add and delete items as well as make changes to your settings. You'll be able to add pages, establish a blog, organize your site's navigation, and much more.
The Advantages Of Using A Shopify Template
- Easy To Understand When Using: A Shopify theme can be edited without requiring any coding, which makes the process as simple as possible. Learning how to arrange and edit your site's content may appear to be a steep learning curve at first, but Shopify offers a wealth of free training to assist you.
- Cost-Effective: Using a pre-made Shopify theme for your store is the most cost-effective way to get started. If you utilize a free theme, your only charge will be a monthly Shopify subscription charge and all development fees will be saved.
- Short Time To Market: Before going live, a pre-made Shopify theme simply has to be installed and configured. You can have a shop up and running in less than a week, depending on how comfortable you are with using the platform editor and how much configuration is required.
- Universal: The Shopify themes are created with broad use in mind rather than a specific vertical in mind. As a result, if you use one of these themes, your store will most likely match others.
- Limited In Terms Of Functionality: The scalability and functionality of Shopify themes can be limited. If you don't have the in-house resources or time to build it yourself, you'll need to hire a Shopify developer to enable complex functions (for example, buy online but pick up in-store).
Modified Shopify themes
As your business grows, you can customize your Shopify theme in a variety of ways to meet your evolving needs. You may modify the design and code that enables your theme with the aid of a designer and developer to add new functionalities or integrate third-party applications to give functionality that isn't currently included with your theme.
The Advantages Of Modified Shopify Themes
- Applications For Customization: There are a variety of applications that can be added to Shopify themes to fulfill specific functionalities that you may want or desire. These applications are available for a monthly fee and are quite easy to integrate into your shop.
- CSS, HTML, and Liquid Can All Be Changed: If your theme doesn't include settings for the modifications you wish to make and you're familiar with HTML, CSS, and Liquid, you can update the code to add particular functionality. You can also hire a Shopify Partner to make changes to the code for you.
- There Have Been No Updates From The Theme: Once a Shopify theme has been updated, it is no longer eligible for updates, which normally contain bug fixes and new features. This means you won't be able to benefit from any updates released by your theme's creator. This also means that you'll have to rely on either your coding abilities or a Shopify Partner you've engaged to keep your site up to date.
- A Site That Is Slow: When you make changes to your Shopify theme, you run the risk of slowing down your site as more code is added. This leads to the previously described "code bloating" - the back end of your site gets clogged with unneeded code, resulting in needlessly slow loading times. Keep in mind that applications add code to your site, so each one you install will contribute to slower loading speeds. According to Google, slower load speeds irritate customers, so I believe that reducing code overload is beneficial to your organization.
Shopify Theme That Is Fully Customized
A completely customized Shopify website gives you a user experience that is tailored to your users' demands and your business goals. Everything on your website, from the information architecture to the looks and functionalities, reflects your brand identity. This indicates that your shop is genuinely one-of-a-kind and stands out from the crowd.
The Advantages Of Fully Customized Theme
- Unique Design: A customized theme is a one-of-a-kind design that matches your brand and is particular to your business vertical. These specific details are what set your company apart. A focused discovery session, followed by a methodical method to mapping your user's journey, is followed by a comprehensive wireframe and design phase; these are just a few of the critical elements to producing a website that reflects your company's identity, values, and mission.
- Best Functionality: With a custom build theme, you can concentrate on the most important aspects of your company and sector. Diff has designed experiences that allow customers to buy a product online and pick it up in-store for some of our merchants. This customization is ideal for merchants who operate both a brick-and-mortar and an online store, which is something that a Shopify Theme cannot provide.
Conclusion: Remember that your online store is the public face of your business; you want it to be friendly, appealing to the eye, and simple to use.
If you're a small business that's just getting started with eCommerce, a ready-made theme is a way to go. It will help you get your product to market quickly and with low startup costs.
If you're a well-known business looking to expand, you'll want to invest in a Shopify website that's been especially built for you. This ensures that your Shopify store is optimized in every manner imaginable, from fast loading times to a personalized check-out experience and a design that is unique to you. This kind of attention to detail is what converts your customers and keeps them coming back for more.